ESPN Fantasy Baseball Rankings
ESPN fantasy baseball rankings are based on the performance of the players in leagues during baseball season based on various performance parameters. These rankings come handy as they help the fantasy baseball players pick their teams and make the more informed decisions. It is usually expected of the top ranked players to perform better during the league games, which in turn helps the ESPN fantasy baseball teams’ manager perform better during the championship. The rankings are published by international baseball federation depending on various criteria through which the performance of the players is judged.
The ranking is published for 300 players which gives the fantasy team managers ample choice to select their team. The ranking is based on a wide range of criteria for both the batters and the pitchers. We will discuss the salient points of the ranking criteria for batters below:
- Batters Ranking: The ranking of the batters is based on the number of adjusted runs and the runs created and the player with most runs get the most points. Other criteria include the “most valuable player” voting, “win against replacement” rating and various other factors, which are taken into consideration before the ranking of the players is adjusted.
- Pitchers Ranking: The ranking of the pitcher is calculated depending upon criteria such as runs, MVP rating, WAR rating, Cy Young rating, Total’s 5 etc. The pitchers are rated on all these criteria and a ranking is assigned depending upon the score.
The ESPN fantasy baseball ranking based on the standard criteria help the team managers not only quickly get the stats of the top players but also help them analyze the players based on different criteria. In this way they can be sure about the expected performance of a players throughout the season make an informed decision. For example, Mike Trout is currently the top ranked players in fantasy baseball ranking in February 2019 but the data also shows that he missed out 22 of the last 48 games in the last season. Similarly, Mookie Betts is currently ranked the No. 2 player in the ESPN fantasy baseball ranking and despite the fact that he is one of the greatest hitters of the ball, in 2017 he was ranked 17th after playing 152 games. This brings the consistency of Mookie Betts into question, however, currently in reference to the rest of the baseball draft; he still comes out among the top players.
Hence, a critical analysis of the ranking of the players, their particular stats, injury status and other factors can help the managers pick the players, which are expected to perform well during the coming season.
Selecting Fantasy Baseball Team
One of the most important and yet the hardest part of playing the fantasy baseball game is selecting a baseball fantasy team. Selecting the team is highly important since the scoring is done based on the performance of the players during the season. If the players do not perform well then the chances of winning or performing well in the championship are bleak. However, a well-selected team will increase your chances of winning the championship. However, selecting a perfect team is more challenging since it requires the perfect knowledge of the ESPN fantasy baseball rankings, the skills and statistics of the players, news on their fitness status and various other factors. Below we will discuss how the fantasy baseball ranking can help the managers select the best team for the season.
How fantasy baseball ranking can help managers select their Team?
Since the results of the fantasy baseball game depends upon the performance of the players in the season, it is extremely important to pick the right team. Picking up the right team can be a real headache since you have to go through all sorts of information before making the right decision. This is where the ranking system comes to your help. It simplifies the process of selecting the team since it can significantly narrow down the perspective players that you should select. The rankings are released for 300 players, which means that the managers can focus on these 300 players since they are most likely to take part in the league games are perform to the effect of their ranking. It is entirely possible that the some lower ranked player may rise to the occasion and perform well so you can give a reasonable thought to the 300 players given in the ranking.
Ranking is one of the most important criteria of picking a player for your team. However, there are other criteria as well, which you should consider before making the ultimate decision. Some of those criteria which you should consider before making the decision are stated as below:
- Ranking of the Player: You should get the fresh player rankings so that it can help you select the high performing players in your team.
- The Career record of the Player: You should look up for the statistics of the players since the players with great statistics are expected to perform better on big occasions. This will help your team gain more points and perform better on the championship table.
- Fitness Status of the Players: You should look up the news so that you can be aware of the players who are injured or are likely to miss out some portion of the season. This will help you make better decisions are not selecting the players who are likely to bring down your rankings.
- Record of player in a particular league: It is entirely possible that a particular player performs better in a league then the overall record. This is one of the most important factor and you should always choose the players based on their performance or ranking in the particular league.
- Domestic Record: Some players are expected to perform better at their home ground or at a particular ground as compared to other. You should keep an eye on the schedule and select the players, which will be playing at their most favored ground.
- Performance against a Particular Team: Some players are expected to perform better against a particular team as compared to the others. This gives you the opportunity to make informed decisions by picking those players who are playing against their most favored team.
Making a Draft Selection based on Fantasy Baseball Rankings
If you are making the decisions entirely based on the ranking system, it is possible that you Draft selection is done on the pre-season draft selection day. Before that you should be well acquainted with the buttons on the app and know what all the buttons do. In this way, you will be able to select the draft without any trouble.
It is, therefore, recommended to make a draft selection of the team based on the rankings available before the season and analyze the performance of the draft. In this way you will be able to see how the team you are most likely to pick will perform and if there are any mistakes, you will be able to rectify them. It will be more helpful to pick up more than one team from the ESPN fantasy baseball rankings so that you can get the best team that you want on the draft selection day.
Once you have selected the best team that you want to play with, it is advisable to make a queue of it in the app so that once the draft selection comes up, you will be able to get the team that you want. There is an option of making a queue before the season so that you can pick the players in your queue when the draft starts. You have to put the players in the queue and give them an order in which you want to pick them. In this way, the best available players will get picked from the queue. Another benefit of making a queue beforehand is that in this way you can think about all the players that you want since it is possible to forget a player during the draft day. Similarly, this gives you more time of picking up a player and not losing one due to the paucity of time. It is entirely possible that on the draft selection day, you may spend a lot of time picking a player and lose the opportunity of picking other players due to the shortage of time.
ESPN Fantasy Baseball Rankings and Auto Draft Selection
It is advisable to have a good understanding of the ranking system before picking the team because just picking the top players may work against you. It is important to have variety in your team since the top players do not always perform best. In case you are unable to make a decision about the draft due to any reason then there is an option of auto draft in the ESPN fantasy baseball. In this way, the system will select the best possible team for you using its own algorithm and you will have a great opportunity to taking part in the game. Choosing the auto draft selection is better than choosing the wrong team due to lack of experience and knowledge. The auto selection saves you the trouble to doing all the research on the internet as well.
ESPN fantasy baseball ranking – Top 10 Ranked Players
Below we will review the top 10 baseball players from the fantasy baseball player rankings released in February 2019. The review of the players is as under:
- Mike Trout: He is the No. 1 ranked player in the world at the moment. Over the course of last few seasons, he has stood out among all the other players in the leagues. Only Mookie Batts and Bryce Harper have been able to match him on per game basis during a last couple of seasons. However, since 2014 trout may not be the automatic pick player for you and you should look for other players in the list as well.
- Mookie Betts: He is one of the high performing players during the season and one of those who match the metal of Mike trout. He is a rare five category talent and one of the must picks for your team.
- Jose Remirez: He is the No. 3 ranked player in the world at the moment. Over the course of last few seasons, he has stood out among all the other players in the leagues.
- Francisco Lindor: He is the No. 4 ranked player in the world at the moment. He has shown incredible power surge over the course of last few seasons.
- Nolan Arenado: He is the No. 5 ranked player in the world at the moment. He has shown incredible ability of run production over the course of last few seasons.
- Jose Altuve: He is the No. 6 ranked player in the world at the moment. He has shown incredible hitting tendency over the course of last four seasons. He was among the top 60 players during the last season despite missing a whooping 25 games. However, this has also casted doubts about his fitness prospects.
- Max Scherzer: He is the No. 7 ranked player in the world at the moment. He is one of the best pitchers in the league but since age is catching up with him, it is expected that his career may take a hit over the course of coming season.
- D. Martinez: He is currently the No. 8 ranked player in the world and arguable he is one of the best hitters of the ball. He has been able to rack up huge counting stats over the course of last few seasons.
- Trea Turner: He is the No. 9 ranked player in the world at the moment. He has shown incredible perseverance and stamina over the course of last few seasons.
- Bryce Harper: He is the No. 10 ranked player in the world at the moment. He has shown incredible hitting tendency over the course of last four seasons. His ranking, however, does not do justice to his ability as he is one of the match winners.